Dana is 3, but sometimes, when I have a conversation with her, I forget that she is not 23.
As we are going through this trauma with Brandon, I wonder how much she really understands. What is she hearing, what does she know?
Amazingly, much more than one would think.
Yesterday I sat down with her, and we had the following chat:
- Mommy, remember when we were sick and our eyes were red
[we both had pink eye at the same time]
- Yes, I remember
- And then we turned better right?
- Yes Dana, we both got better
- And then daddy turned sick?
- We are not sick anymore, but daddy is still sick
- yes, daddy is still sick. But he is taking his medicine and getting better.
- Remember a long time ago daddy was in the hospital?
- Remember he cried when he was in the hospital?
- That was silly to cry because there were no needles
- You're right, that was silly
- I like daddy's nurse, and I like daddy's Dr. , the one who can't count
[the Dr would play count with her]
- I like them too Dana. They will help daddy get better.
She amazes me - with her words, her logic, her compassion, and her understanding about what's going on.
We are blessed to have her!